Our Scientific Advisory Committee
Our Scientific Advisory Committee
Prof. G. Padmanaban - Merits and Accolades
- Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Committee of Yashraj Biotechnology Ltd
- Honorary professor at INSA Senior Scientist at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Senior Science and Innovation Advisor, BIRAC, Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India
- Recipient of Padmashree and Padmabhushan
- Conferred Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, BR Ambedkar Award, Ranbaxy Award and the first Distinguished Biotechnologist Award of the DBT, for his outstanding contributions to science
- Acclaimed for his groundbreaking work in recombinant DNA technology in life science research. His significant contributions include transcriptional regulation of drug metabolizing genes in liver, elucidating the mechanism of chloroquine action and its resistance in the malarial parasite, new drug targets for malaria etc
- As director IISc, he had promoted academia-industry interaction
Dr. Seyed Hasnain - Merits and Accolades
- Ph.D. (JNU, Delhi), D.Sc. (h.c.), D.Med.Sc. (h.c),
- Former professor at the University of Delhi • National Institute of Immunology (an Institute of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India)
- Institution builder, policy maker, an administrator and importantly, an active scientist
- First Director of Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD), Govt of India and made CDFD a gold standard for DNA based crime investigations in the country
- As the Vice Chancellor of the prestigious University of Hyderabad, he made it the #1 University of India displacing JNU and DU for which the Prime Minister of India gave a PURSE Award
- Recipient of many prestigious Awards such as G.D. Birla Award, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, FICCI Award, J.C. Bose National Fellow Award, Ranbaxy Research Award, Goyal Award, Bhasin Award etc
- At the age of 51, he received the Padma Shri (Civilian Award) from the President of India
- 3rd Indian (Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, 2009, Dr Amartya Sen, 2010) to receive an Honorary Doctorate from the Queen’s University, UK (member of the prestigious Russell Group of Universities which include Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College etc)
- International recognitions include the rare Humboldt Research Prize (Alexander-von-Humboldt Foundation, Germany); the very exclusive Robert Koch Fellowship (the ONLY Indian so far), of the Robert Koch Institute, Berlin etc
- First Indian elected as a Member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina and youngest to be elected as a Fellow of TWAS, Trieste
- Elected Fellow of all the major Science Academies of India (FNA, FASc, FNASc)
- Member of the International Advisory Board, EuroPathoGenomics Network of Excellence
- Well known internationally for his research on Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the TB causing bacterium, and has >240 publications in peer-reviewed journals of high impact, and >dozen patents globally
- Mentored more than 100 PhD, MD and Post Doctoral students, four of who received the prestigious INSA Young Scientist Medal
- Member of Science Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (SAC-PM)
- Was a member of Scientific Advisory Committee to the Union Cabinet
- Was Chairman of Biotech Advisory Council, Government of Andhra Pradesh for several years and a Member of Biotech Advisory Council of many other State Governments.
- Chairman of the Academic Committee of the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGI, Chandigarh) and Member of the PGI Institute Body and Governing Council.
- Member of Governing Councils of Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla; Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore; IIM, Khozikode; and several other institutions; policy-making bodies; XII Plan Committees for the Ministries of S&T, MHRD, and Health
- Invited Professor at the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Member of the University Grants Commission (UGC)
Dr. Gyanchandra Mishra - Merits and Accolades
- M.Sc. Zoology in 1968 at University of Gorakhpur, Gorakhpur, India
- Ph.D., Zoology in 1975 at University of Udaipur, Udaipur, India on “Studies on the digestive and nervous system of Indian cattle leech P. granulosa (Savigny, 1822)”.
- Eminent Scientist, National Centre for Cell Science Pune
- More than 35 years of experience in cellular immunology and several allied areas of cell biology
- His research has culminated not only into several outstanding research papers in prestigious journals but has also opened new avenues for addressing some of the fundamental questions in immunology
- His findings have major implications in the control of variety of diseases such as tuberculosis, kala azar, malaria, diabetes, etc.
- In addition as a Director, Dr. Mishra has taken National Centre for Cell Science Pune from anonymity to one of the premier scientific institute in the area of biological science
- Former Director, NCCS, Pune
- Conferred ‘PADMASHREE’ by Hon’ble President of India
- Fellow, National Academy of Science, Allahabad, India
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi
- Fellow- Society for Science and Environment, India • Member, “Guha Research Conference”
- Member, “Molecular Immunology Forum”
- Recipient of Ranbaxy Research Foundation Award for excellence in Medical Science for the year 2002
- Member of Various Scientific advisory Committees’ and Task Forces of DST, DBT & ICMR etc. and has published more than 65 papers in reputed journals
Dr. Satish Gupta - Merits and Accolades
- Deputy Director and Chief of Reproductive Cell Biology Laboratory, National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi
- Outstanding contributions in the areas of reproductive immunology, gamete biology, contraceptive vaccine development, diagnostics and infertility
- Elected fellow of several academies including National Academy of Medical Sciences; Indian National Science Academy; Indian Academy of Sciences; and National Academy of Sciences
- Published over 150 papers in peer reviewed journals of national and international repute
- Recipient of many awards including Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in Medical Sciences
Dr. Musti Krishnasastry - Merits and Accolades
- Multi-disciplinary interests in biology, with a Master’s degree in Chemistry, obtained his Doctoral degree work on protein-ligand interactions and analysis of glycoproteins by biochemical, biophysical approaches.
- He is highly experienced in studying mechanism of protein-protein, protein-ligand and protein-membrane interactions at molecular level in normal cellular signalling and in pathogenic purposes.
- His work has identified sequences that elicit Immunoglobulin A (IgA) response in case of Malarial infection.
- The Malaria specific IgA has been shown to limit brain tissue damage in mice. Importantly, human endemic population also has the IgA specific to these sequences.
- The IgA is being examined for both diagnostic and therapeutic purpose to segregate susceptible vs non-susceptible for severity of malaria among the infected.
- He has applied the same aspect of protein-membrane interactions in case of human tuberculosis disease by identifying the sub-populations that have the ability to damage tissues for establishment of infection.
- He has used ‘game theory’ to understand the systems that use “division of labour” concept that can divide themselves into many tiny populations to come-together to establish the infection.
- He currently focuses on, how co-operation evolves in populations, how it sustains and what one can learn to cut-off the route of cooperation for eliminating the infection.
- This approach has produced some very exciting leads in understanding evolution of drug-resistance, failure of current vaccines etc, and possible new generation diagnostics for identifying right combination of approaches to contain it.
Dr. Amal Mukhopadhyay - Merits and Accolades
- Scientist and entrepreneur in the areas of healthcare, pharmaceuticals, biology and biotechnology
- Longstanding experience in business development, in directing research and development work and in corporate leadership
- Awarded PhD degree working at the Banaras Hindu University
- Spenttime working at the University of Hamburg, Germany
- Over 100 publications, several books and book chapters and patents to his credit
- Three decades of experience in managing projects in basic research as well as in applied research partly in cooperation with pharmaceutical companies has made him a widely respected scientist and entrepreneur
- Co-founder and managing director of Agelab Pharma GmbH, Hamburg, a Company involved in the development of diagnostics and therapies in ageing-related diseases
- In 2005, he established the company ELGA Biotech, Hamburg which complements and supports the activities of Gateway Knowledge Partners
Dr. Mohan Rao - Merits and Accolades
- Director of The Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad
- After being awarded the Ph.D. degree, Dr. Rao has experience working in several renowned institutions in different countries
- Dr. Rao combines biophysical, molecular biological and cell biological approaches to address problems of biomedical importance
- President of Indian Biophysical Society and Vice President of the Asian Biophysics Association
- Member of the Program Advisory Committees and Task Force Committees of a number of government funding agencies and a member of editorial boards of scientific journals including BBA-Proteins and Proteomics
- In a multi-institutional project Dr. Rao has developed DNA based diagnostic chip for simultaneously identifying 20 different organisms that cause ophthalmic infections. This product has now been commercially launched and was adjudged as the “product of the year (2008)” by the “Biospectrum”, biotech business magazine from India
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, National Academy of Sciences, India and Indian Academy of Sciences
- Received the Ranbaxy Award for Basic Medical Sciences and Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award for Medical Sciences
Dr. Vijay Chaudhary - Merits and Accolades
- Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Delhi South Campus, New Delhi, India
- Accomplished researcher and inventor
- Led the development of a simple and rapid assay to detect HIV in small volume (single drop) of blood
- After completing his Ph. D. in Biochemistry, Dr. Chaudhary worked as a Visiting Fellow/Associate at the National Institutes of Health, USA for 5 years, where he developed technology for producing recombinant fusion proteins between toxins and growth factors and single chain antibodies to make magic bullet targeted to cancer and HIV-infected cells
- More than 75 research papers and has 15 Indian and US patents
- Conferred several national and international awards
- Currently, the main focus of his laboratory is to identify biomarkers, to produce engineered in vitro affinity matured antibodies, and soluble antigens for developing rapid but sensitive detection systems for the diagnosis of infectious diseases including Tuberculosis, Typhoid and Malaria.
Prof. G. Padmanaban
Honorary Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India
Dr. Mohan Rao
JC Bose National Fellow, Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India
Dr. Seyed Hasnain
Vice Chancellor, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
Dr. Gyanchandra Mishra
Eminent Scientist, National Center of Cell Sciences at Pune, India
Dr. Satish Gupta
Emeritus Scientist and Ex-Deputy Director, Chief, Reproductive Cell Biology Laboratory, National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India
Dr. Vijay Chaudhary
Director, Centre for Innovation in Infectious Disease Research, Education and Training (CIIDRET), University of Delhi, India
Dr. M. V. Krishnasastry
Senior Scientist, National Center for Cell Science, Pune, India